Health Risks of Periodontal Disease
Healthier gums mean a healthier you!
The health of your mouth affects your entire body. Especially now that you can take care of your gum disease in a minimally invasive fashion, there has NEVER been more reason to take care of yourself! The following facts are astonishing!
- Heart attack – Those with gum disease are twice a likely to develop coronary heart disease and 2.6 times more likely to die of cardiovascular disease than those without gum disease.
- Stroke – Men who have had gum disease have a 57% higher risk of ischemic stroke.
- Diabetes – The International Federation of Diabetes states that controlling gum disease is one of the best ways to control blood sugar in those with diabetes.
- Pancreatic Cancer – Men with a history of gum disease have a 63% increased risk of pancreatic cancer than men without a history of gum disease.
- Respiratory Diseases are more prominent in those with gum disease.
- Premature or underweight babies – Women are twice as likely to have a premature or low birthweight baby due to periodontal disease. A recent premature infant death in California has been linked to the mother having periodontal disease.
There are numerous reasons to take gum disease seriously, and the list above is only a few of them. If you think that you may have gum disease don’t hesitate to take action. With over 25 years of experience our doctors provide some of the highest quality service in the periodontal field. We can help you achieve the smile you’ve always wanted. Contact us today for more info!